How to Mail Handmade Cards with Bulky Embellishments

It’s the time of year when you want to send out beautiful handmade cards, but may not know what to do about bulky embellishments. You may only be guessing at how to package them so they arrive in good shape. And if you’re like me, you’d rather NOT have to go to the post office to find out how much postage you need!

This card was in Monday’s post.  You can see instructions for creating the card in an assembly line process:  Super Easy Christmas Card.  You might think that sending out a lot of these cards could get expensive due to the Mini Pinecones, but even with padding, this card will mail for one Forever stamp, which this year costs 47 cents.

Super Easy Christmas Card from Stamping Madly made with Suite Seasons stamp set and Pine Bough Embossing Folder from Stampin' Up!

Here’s a card that could give you fits about whether you could mail it or not.  Not only is it a Shaker Card with a thick layer of craft foam, it also has the Mini Jingle Bells that could make it too bulky to send.

Christmas Shaker Card from Stamping Madly, made with Merry Mice stamp set from Stampin' Up!

But no, it will only take two Forever stamps, plus one Extra Ounce stamp.  That’s $1.15.  You probably wouldn’t want to send a lot of cards at that price, but for a special friend or family member, you just might decide it’s worth it.

Last year I made a couple videos that de-mystify the Postal Service rules and postage rates.  This seems like a good time to post the information again, so you can figure out just how much embellishing you want to do!

The first video gives guidelines and suggestions for packaging your cards.

The second video will help you figure out the postage you need without going to the Post Office.  This is a revised version of the video.  I got the information for the first version from a brochure the Postal Service sent out, but it turned out to be incorrect.  The video has captions in red where it needed correcting, and the downloadable pdf has accurate information.

Use this link to download the pdf “Sending First Class Mail Without Going to the Post Office.”  http://stampingmadly.com/SendingFirstClassMail

Leave a comment to let me know if these videos make sending your cards easier!

Skip the trip to the Post Office!  Now that you’ve learned how to mail handmade cards with bulky embellishments, you can be confident that your cards will arrive safely and with the correct postage.

, , ,

6 Responses to How to Mail Handmade Cards with Bulky Embellishments

1. Debbie Browe November 11, 2016 at 7:45 am #

Thanks for your information and it was so helpful. Just starting and this is just what I needed. Happy stamping!

• Sage November 11, 2016 at 12:13 pm #

You’re welcome, Debbie. I’ve always wanted to make sure my beautiful cards could be sent in the mail, and set out to learn exactly how I could do that. And of course, I passed it on to all of my followers. Take care.

2. Nancy Pedro November 19, 2016 at 2:15 pm #

I glad you did this Sage because I keep going to the post office
    to check and see if I have enough postage on my cards. What I
    have found out is that I put too many stamps on most cards
    then just recently i took another thicker card and they put it
    through their cardboard slot and it was too thick and would be in
    the $2 plus range so I opened up the envelop and took out
    the chipboard protection piece, and then it fit through their
    slot. However I was concerned my work of art would be
    damaged. I was not aware of how much the thickness of
    a card mattered. I did write on the envelope” fragile please
    hand stamp.” I do not know if this mattered or even helped
    protect the contents. So again, thank you, I just printed out
    your chart

• Sage November 19, 2016 at 3:06 pm #

I’m happy to pass on my “research.” I don’t think writing “fragile, please hand stamp” will help if you haven’t added extra postage for it to be “non-machineable.” That’s a question I didn’t research, sorry. Unfortunately, when I’ve asked questions at the Post Office, I have sometimes gotten different answers from different clerks. You can check the usps.com website to see if they say anything about fragile, please hand stamp items.

3. LINDA FILLDS November 21, 2016 at 1:49 pm #

thank you very much for the mailing video….it will be a great help in mailing some of my cards,,, Thank again Sage,,,, Have a great Thanksgiving 🙂

• Sage November 21, 2016 at 4:51 pm #

You’re very welcome, Linda. And Thanksgiving blessings to you.