Make an All-Occasions Card with Flourish Thinlits!

If you like to make all-occasions cards to have on hand, you’ll love the Flourish Thinlits from Stampin’ Up!  It’s super easy to make a striking card with the Flourish die-cuts.  Create a background with some texture for interest, use layers to accentuate your color scheme, and voila!  You have a handmade card for any occasion:  birthday, friendship, thinking of you, even anniversary and sympathy cards!  At least for a woman, I don’t think I’d use these dies for a guy.

IMG_5995

This card is super simple.  The colors are Peekaboo Peach, Rose Red, and Rich Razzleberry.  Yum!  The background was made with the Brick Wall Embossing Folder, and the little heart in the bottom right corner is from the 2016 In Color Enamel Shapes.

You’ll love the Enamel Shapes, new in the 2016 Annual Catalog.  They’re just like Candy Dots, only better, as each color comes in dots, hearts, and stars.  They’re available in Metallic Gold and Silver, as well as in Brights, Regals, and Subtles color collections.

Use this link to order all the cardmaking and paper crafting supplies you love:  Stampin’ Up! Online Store

If you’re like me, sometimes you need a little embellishment rather than a big bow, button, or tag.  I tried some ribbons and twine on this card, but they were either too big or the wrong color.  Then I remembered the subtle little Enamel Shapes.  It added just the right amount of interest without detracting from the Flourish die-cut.

The biggest challenge with intricate die-cuts is how to adhere them to your cardstock.  I created a new video for you that shows some of the options, with the downside of each.

Now you can make quick and easy all-occasions cards with the Flourish Thinlits from Stampin’ Up!

, , , ,

11 Responses to Make an All-Occasions Card with Flourish Thinlits!

1. Mary August 1, 2016 at 6:53 pm #

Thanks for the tips. I use the Green Glue VERY SPARELY.

• Sage August 1, 2016 at 7:03 pm #

Do you mean the Tombow that Stampin’ Up! sells? It must be hard to get a small enough amount that it doesn’t squish out and make a mess! Do you apply it with something? Or straight out of the bottle?

• Mary August 9, 2016 at 6:27 pm #

Sage you can use a toothpick to apply it with, small dots.

Here is a great tip from Kay Kaltoff you might like to try: link to youtube.com

• Sage August 9, 2016 at 6:50 pm #

Thanks Mary, Jackie also suggested that video. Looks like an easy way to skip the mess.

2. Lynne A August 2, 2016 at 11:29 am #

I used to use the Sizzix Adhesive sheets too, but also had the same “cut through” problem with the intricate dies. I now us Ken Oliver’s STICK IT adhesive sheets as the backing paper is much thinner than on the Sizzix sheets and will usually cut all the way through with one or two passes through the Big Shot with the Precision Base Plate.

Love your instructional videos…..I’ve learned so much from you. Keep ‘um coming.

• Sage August 2, 2016 at 2:48 pm #

Thanks for the feedback, Lynne. Others have recommended the Stick It adhesive sheets. I’m definitely going to try them. I’m glad you’re loving the videos. I will be sure to keep them coming!

3. bernice thompson August 3, 2016 at 10:52 am #

Sage, am I using the die incorrectly? I cut both sides out of black card stock, an used a ribbon to tie the gate . It made a lovely card with small roses back ground..I squeeze a small amount of Tom bow and use my fingers to apply it to the backs so there isn’t any shinny places on front of card.

4. Jackie August 3, 2016 at 12:04 pm #

Didn’t Stampin Up! sell sticky sheets? And if they do sell them, will the sheets cut through on a couple of passes in the Big Shot.
    I have been using the Multipurpose Liquid glue that Stampin’ Up! sells and apply it with a very thin paint brush, a toothpick or a skewer. Has been working OK

5. Jackie August 6, 2016 at 1:42 pm #

Sage, just finishes watching a video with Kay Kalthoff called Thoughtfull Branches Bundle with Glimmer paper tree with adhesive tip. She used Tear and Tape which cut perfectly. You should watch it. Just go to You Tube and put her name. The first video is the one I watched. Hope it helps you.

6. Cynthia August 20, 2016 at 3:38 pm #

Hello Sage,

I enjoy watching your videos and learn many tips on art theory. I just watched your video on adding adhesive to detailed dies. You asked for tips and I have two.

1. I also have a xyron machine. When you pull the die from the xyron machine, take a piece of the base sticker or cling wrap and place it over the detailed die. Use a stylus and go around the edges of the die. When you pull up the sticker base or cling wrap the glue will be on this and when you pull up the die from the sticker base you have a cleaner edge. I hope this is clear.”

Another alternative that work very well is to use spray adhesive on the back of the detailed die.

• Sage August 21, 2016 at 6:17 pm #

Thanks for the feedback, Cynthia.