If you want to tell a friend how much she means to you, make a Joy Fold Friendship Card! Of course you could make one for a guy, but you might want something less girly than the flowery images on this simple version.
There is a design challenge inherent in these cards. When you add an embellishment to hold the card closed, it needs to be subtle enough that the observer’s attention doesn’t jump back and forth between the focal point and the embellishment. The Bow Paper Clip meets this challenge well.
The Joy Fold card is like combining two cards into one. The card base is the normal 4-1/4″ x 5-1/2″, although the front of the base is only half that size. Then there’s a smaller card that folds in the opposite direction.
The measurements can vary, depending on your design, but I’ll share what I used on this card.
- The Lost Lagoon base is cut to 4-1/4″ x 8-1/2″, then the length is scored at 5-1/2″.
- The Soft Sky layer 2-13/16″ x 4-1/16″. You could make the decorative layers 1/4″ smaller than their mats, but if you make them 3/16″ smaller instead, the mats look more delicate. You can see what an important design difference it makes in this post: Why Use 3/16″ Mats in Handmade Cards.
- The Rose Red piece is 3″ x 7-1/2″, with the length scored at 3-3/4″.
- The Very Vanilla panels are 2-13/16″ x 3-13/16″.
- If your head spins at the thought of measuring and cutting 16ths of an inch, this video that will make it easy to read all the fractions you’re likely to need for handmade cards.. That’s if you’re in the US, of course, where we use the much more complicated imperial measurements instead of metrics. 😀
The stamp set is First Sight from Stampin’ Up!’s Occasions Catalog. It has some great sentiments for friendship, Mother’s Day, or your special someone! Just imagine the great backgrounds you can make with the flourish stamp. You’ll love the heart image when you punch it out with the Sweetheart Punch. The little bird, heart and curved branch are perfect little accents for your heartfelt handmade card.
Although my mom passed years ago, I couldn’t resist the stamp that says “I have loved you, Mother, since I opened my eyes.” Having been a nurse midwife for several years, I have been blessed to witness many babies getting their first looks. It’s pretty magical, and this sentiment made my heart melt! Just imagine how your mom would feel if she opened a handmade card with this saying on it!
Make a handmade Joy Fold when you want a little extra interest in a card for a friend, Mom, or your special someone!