How to Mail Bulky Handmade Cards

You love to make them, you love to give them, but I bet you don’t love going to the Post Office to mail your bulky handmade cards!  It’s time to be thinking of mailing your Christmas cards, and if you’re like me, you’d love to mail them from home!  Once you understand the U.S. Postal Service “rules,” there’s no need to make that extra trip.  Which means you’ll have more time to make awesome cards!

I’ve created a two-part video with everything you need to know to package and send your cards safely through the mail.

Many cardmakers shy away from making cards with thick embellishments and layers.  Some want to avoid paying for extra postage, and if you’re sending out lots of cards, this is an important consideration.  But when you watch these videos, you’ll see that you can send cards up to 1/4″ thick for a single Forever stamp, as long as you package it to comply with the Postal Service rules.

Many handmade cards can be sent with one Forever Stamp

Other cardmakers don’t want to make the trip to the post office to find out how much postage to put on their cards.  With a small postal or kitchen scale, plus a stash of stamps, you can mail everything from home!  In addition to Forever Stamps, you’ll need some Additional Ounce Stamps.

Bulky handmade cards may need one or two Additionl Ounce Stamps, in addition to Forever Stamps

Part 1 of How to Mail Bulky Handmade Cards shows how to package them so they have the best chance of being delivered safely.

Part 2 shows how to determine the postage your cards need so you can skip the trip to the Post Office.

Download the pdf I showed in the videos by clicking on this link:

Sending First Class Mail Without Going to the Post Office

Amazon has a selection of postal and kitchen scales at:  http://stampingmadly.com/PostalScales

I try to provide content that answers questions I receive from followers, and I had several cardmakers who wanted this information.  So leave a comment and let me know what you think!

Sending out holiday cards could get a bit easier this season if you understand how to mail bulky handmade cards!

, , , , ,

39 Responses to How to Mail Bulky Handmade Cards

1. Mary (aka Muffin's Mama) November 14, 2015 at 4:03 pm #

Sage, This is a great series. Thanks for demystifying postage!

• Sage November 14, 2015 at 6:11 pm #

You’re welcome! Glad to demystify whenever I can!

2. Kay Hahn Casler November 15, 2015 at 1:05 pm #

Wonderful video! Though I basically knew the info, it is great to hear!
    Thanks so much!

• Sage November 15, 2015 at 3:57 pm #

You’re welcome, Kay.

3. Laurie November 17, 2015 at 3:59 pm #

I really liked you video on the packaging and postag. Thank you for your hard work in making the sheet sending first class mail without going to the post office! Very nice, and the time it took you to make that thank you. I am going to laminate mine!

Also wondering by chance if you have a video on the card with the the leave and antique brad that on the picture to get to the postage video.

• Sage November 17, 2015 at 4:29 pm #

Thanks for the feedback, Laurie! I’m glad you find it helpful, and hope you’ll send cards through the mail with more confidence than ever!

4. Denise Stutzman November 18, 2015 at 2:08 pm #

Sage…..You are amazing! What a helpful video! I hate going to the post office
    and avoid cards that are 3 dimensional if I’m going to mail them. Thanks for
    opening another door for me!

• Sage November 18, 2015 at 3:16 pm #

Thanks, Denise. I’m glad you’ll be making cards you wouldn’t have made without this information!

5. lori November 18, 2015 at 2:52 pm #

Sage, I always say I’m going to write down all of these things in a way I can easily and quickly figure things out. You did it, and I watched the video’s and printed your pdf. How kind of you! Thank you so much!!

• Sage November 18, 2015 at 3:14 pm #

You’re so welcome, Lori! Glad to make it easy for everybody!

6. Karen Heubeck November 18, 2015 at 3:09 pm #

807 Horseshoe Lane
    Hi Sage,
    Your column about mailing bulky cards was most helpful. Thanks a lot!
    Karen

• Sage November 18, 2015 at 3:14 pm #

Thanks, Karen!

7. Kathi Perry November 18, 2015 at 3:36 pm #

Thanks, Sage, for the postage/mailing tips! It was very helpful!

• Sage November 18, 2015 at 4:38 pm #

You’re welcome, Kathi. I’ve had to figure this out on my own, and thought I’m not the only one who wishes it were simple!

8. Mary November 18, 2015 at 5:23 pm #

Sage these videos are great! I shared them on my SU Facebook page.

• Sage November 21, 2015 at 2:06 pm #

You’re welcome, Mary. Thanks for sharing them!

9. Doris November 18, 2015 at 6:44 pm #

Thanks for a very comprehensive tutorial to solve the mystery of the Postal charges!

• Sage November 21, 2015 at 2:03 pm #

You bet, Doris!

10. Celestine Peterson November 18, 2015 at 8:24 pm #

Thank you so much for sharing your information and tools on mailing handmade cards. You have made mailing simple! Thank you so very much.

• Sage November 21, 2015 at 2:07 pm #

You’re welcome, Celestine. I’m glad to help out.

11. linda November 19, 2015 at 3:12 am #

morning,
    love your sight.
    I watched your video on the postage mailing, but could not print up the postage page. Is it still available?
    linda

• Sage November 21, 2015 at 2:08 pm #

I’ll send the pdf to you by email. Let me know if that doesn’t work.

12. Colleen November 19, 2015 at 6:12 am #

Such a great video which was very helpful and informative

• Sage November 21, 2015 at 2:07 pm #

You’re so welcome! I’m glad to help out.

13. Joan November 19, 2015 at 12:01 pm #

Thank you so much for these videos, they are so helpful. I only wish you had one for International mailing, as I belong to a group that most of the members are overseas, I love sending cards to them also. Again thank you so much.

• Sage November 21, 2015 at 2:22 pm #

You’re welcome, Joan. I don’t send anything overseas, so I can’t with that. Maybe you can come up with something similar for yourself from the usps.com website. If you do figure out how to make it simple, send me the info, and I could do an article or video on that.

14. Pat November 20, 2015 at 1:33 pm #

Thank you so much for making this easy to understand and showing “how to”…. I’d stopped making dimensionals simply because I did not know
    how to calculate postage and worrying about cards arriving torn,etc. Great videos!

• Sage November 21, 2015 at 2:27 pm #

Thanks for the feedback, Pat. I’m so glad you found the videos helpful.

15. Pat November 20, 2015 at 1:37 pm #

Great videos! I’d stopped mailing dimensionals because I didn’t know how to calculate postage. Also, I had been placing card stock inside some, hoping they arrived safely and without charge to the recipient.

• Sage November 21, 2015 at 2:28 pm #

Thanks, Pat. I’m so glad to make it simple for you and everyone! Now you can protect your cards AND be certain you have the right postage!

16. Pat November 20, 2015 at 1:39 pm #

Great videos! I had stopped mailing dimensional because I didn’t know how to calculate postage. I had been placing a piece of card stock in those that were thicker to prevent damage, but I always worried that the recipient would incur extra postage.

17. Karen November 23, 2015 at 7:00 pm #

According to http://www.usps.com the weight is listed as “not over one ounce” for first class postage. That means a 1 ounce letter should cost 49 cents and not need an additional ounce stamp.

• Sage November 23, 2015 at 8:23 pm #

Thanks, Karen. I found two different criteria for this in two different documents. I went with the one they sent in the mail a while back. You’re right, the document on First Class Mail on the website says not over one ounce. Thanks for sharing that with us!

18. Sue Townsend December 9, 2015 at 11:17 am #

Thank you for this information, Sage. I appreciate having a *.pdf file as a reminder of what you covered in the video. Sure wish I had seen the mailing videos before sending all my homemade cards this morning!!! Fingers crossed that none were too bulky or heavy. 🙂

• Sage December 9, 2015 at 5:40 pm #

Glad to be helpful, Sue. Actually, I’m going to update the pdf on mailing, as the post office had put out conflicting information about “less than” or “not more than” 1 oz. The official file on their website says “not more than.” Hope all your Christmas cards arrive safely!

19. Sylvis June 17, 2017 at 6:26 am #

Hi Sage,
    Thank you for your great video on preparing and mailing handcrafted cards. This makes it so clear on how to best mail them Thank you!!

• Sage June 17, 2017 at 12:33 pm #

You’re so welcome. It really is simple once you learn the USPS guidelines!

20. Sherri Cooley August 22, 2017 at 12:16 pm #

The videos are very informative and answered a lot of questions, but I have one. On the very last card you showed the trifold shutter card, if it had been thicker than 3/4 inch and had to be mailed as a package how would postage be calculated for it? Thanks for the info.

• Sage August 22, 2017 at 1:42 pm #

At that point, you’d have to go to the USPS website and calculate the price based on weight, size, and destination. Here’s the link link to postcalc.usps.com