Hot Tip Queen: Stamp-a-ma-jig and New Foam Ink Pads

I've run into a problem using Stampin' Up!'s new Foam Ink Pads with the Stamp-a-ma-jig, Hot Tip Queen at Stamping Madyand the Hot Tip Queen has some obervations to share.

"I've heard Sage use some colorful words lately when she's been using the new Foam Ink Pads.  These pads are so juicy that she ends up with smudges of ink on her work.  You know how particular she is about her projects–she tends to be a bit of a perfectionist.

She noticed she was getting ink on her fingers (usually something she likes), but it was staying wet–unlike with the old pads.  She thought she must be touching the open in pads without realizing it.

But that wasn't the problem.  She finally noticed, after a nudge or two from me, that this happens when she uses the Stamp-a-ma-jig.  It turns out that the new ink doesn't dry on the image sheet like the old ink does.  As she would handle the sheet to position the image she wanted to stamp, she'd end up with wet ink on her fingers that then got on her card stock.  Hence the bad language.

So we tried some experiments:

• We let the sheet sit with the stamped image on it to see how long it would take to dry.  Results:  Even after an hour, when she ran her fingers over the stamp, the ink would still smudge.

Smudged Ink on Stamp-a-ma-jig Image Sheet

• Next we tried setting the ink with the Heat Tool, hoping it wouldn't melt the image sheet.  The sheet got quite hot, but the ink still smudged.  What a mess.  Although the image sheet wasn't damaged, it might if we heated it longer, so I definitely don't recommend this technique.

Based on these experiments, I've concluded the best strategy is to use one of the old felt ink pads for the image sheet.  If you don't have any of the old pads, you can use Black StazOn."

The Hot Tip Queen doesn't know everything (although she likes to think she does), so if any of you stampers out there have found another solution, please let me know.  And just so I don't think I'm crazy, also leave a comment if you're running into the same problem!

That's the up-to-date report from the Hot Tip Queen on using the Stamp-a-ma-jig with the new Foam Ink Pads from Stampin' Up!

6 Responses to Hot Tip Queen: Stamp-a-ma-jig and New Foam Ink Pads

1. Jackie Hardy September 21, 2012 at 2:02 am #

One thing I do is use our vellum card stock instead of the image sheet with the stamp-a-ma-jig and black staz-on ink. This way (especially if it’s a wood mount set) I keep the image in with the stamps for future use.

2. ruthi September 21, 2012 at 5:22 am #

extra work, but stamp the sheet first with stazon or black classic then use the sheet with the new color ink….that might work

3. Michelle September 22, 2012 at 3:00 am #

oh no, that’s gonna be annoying with the clear sets – you’d want to ensure the stamp doesn’t come off the block while cleaning it to remove the stazon black.

Great idea Jackie Hardy, about using the vellum instead of the image sheet for the wood mount sets

4. Sage Kimble September 23, 2012 at 10:29 am #

Michelle, I dont have any problem using StazOn with Clear Mount stamps. If you havent signed up for my newsletter yet, the free video youll get after signing up gives a great tip for keeping stamps on the clear blocks.

5. Sage Kimble September 23, 2012 at 10:34 am #

Thanks, Jackie. I have so few wood mount stamps anymore that I forgot about the vellum idea. Ill have to pull some out for those wood mount stamps I use over and over.

The only problem Ive had with the vellum is that its so much thinner than the image sheet, that sometimes it will slip under the handle if Im not careful. I think the resin tables I have bow just slightly, and the handle doesnt always lie flush against it–especially if Im using it close to the edge.

Nurturing Creativity, One Stamp at a Time

email: sage@stampingmadly.com
    link to facebook.com

6. Sage Kimble September 23, 2012 at 10:37 am #

Thats the conclusion Ive come to, Ruth. I never had that trouble with the old classic inks, so this was a surprise.