Nurturing Creativity Part 13

Creativity_4847624

Recently I ran into this great video by Sir Ken Robinson about creativity and education.  It is well worth your time if you can find 20 minutes to sit down and watch it.  It is funny, entertaining, and quite poignant, as Sir Robinson shares his perspective on how we kill creativity in our educational systems.

Child with painted face_1644546As I was writing notes for today's post, I realized you might enjoy and benefit from hearing this talk as well.  You'll see how your blocks to creativity have less to do with you as a person, and more to do with the many ways your creativity was stifled as you grew from a spontaneous, creative child, to a responsible, "productive" adult.

The harm done to each individual, as well as to the future of our world, is profound.

Why do I share this with you today?  Because we can heal our own scars around creativity, and in doing so, encourage others in healing theirs. Every time you take the risk to create, even by simply making a card, you help build something bigger than yourself.  You add momentum to a thread of human expression that is too often devalued and dismissed.

I hope you'll take the time to watch this video and reflect on how you can let it impact you and your blocks to creativity.

Leave a comment and let me know what insights you got from this video.

Happy Stamping!

6 Responses to Nurturing Creativity Part 13

1. Mary Sue Osborn October 14, 2011 at 6:11 am #

I love what he had to say about you having to be willing to be wrong. I found that when I worked with children and they did creative writing they were free to make as many mistakes as was natural for a young child to make in their first attempt at writing a story. I loved the things that they were willing to share, they were not afraid of saying the wrong thing. We stiffle our creativity by being afraid of doing something that is not acceptable or right.

2. Sage Kimble October 14, 2011 at 7:01 am #

Thanks for your comment, Mary Sue. I love this video and watch it from time to time just to be reminded again of what he says! That willingness to be wrong, to make mistakes, is so essential in our creations, and our lives in general. Stamping and other crafting endeavors are a great way to practice making mistakes–after all,its only paper!

3. Victoria Stevens October 14, 2011 at 7:45 pm #

This video was so insightful. Let’s hope the America educational system, as well as the doctors, wake up to this very important message before it is to late. Parents are so scared to have a child that is active that they immediately take them to the doctor for medicine to calm them. May God help us. Thanks for sharing. Blessings, Victoria

4. Sage Kimble October 14, 2011 at 9:25 pm #

Thanks for your comment, Victoria. It is an important message indeed! Its so important for all of us to find how best to interact with the world, like the amazing dancer/choreographer he spoke of. The perspective he gives on what we are really educating kids for is an eye opener. I hope we can all bring this celebration of creativity and individual expression to our own lives and those of our children. And all we touch through our papercrafting.

The Mad Stamper

5. Julie Beaulieu October 20, 2011 at 5:38 am #

Thank You for introducing me to a fascinating man. I love his outlook on ADHD like most people of my generation do – fix it with activity not drugs. This is your best post on creativity to date. You are a great educator! So the next time you’re at a dinner party tell them you are in education and see the reaction you get 🙂

6. Sage Kimble October 20, 2011 at 7:08 am #

Thanks, Julie! I cant imagine ever being at a dinner party, but am honored to hear you call me an educator!