Nurturing Creativity Part 9

Creativity_4847624

Do you stress over every element when you make a card?  Should I use this color or that? Should it go here or there?  Should I use ribbon or not?  You get the idea!

Does your need to be perfect, and to get it right the first time, paralyze you and keep you from approaching cardmaking with a sense of play and curiosity

If you answered yes, then you are not alone!  I watch some of my customers agonize over all the little decisions that go into designing a project.  Here’s the scoop:  Needing to be perfect is a HUGE block to creativity!

Photobucket

Demanding perfection in your design process is a bit different than striving for perfection with your technique skills

Aligning Layers For example, practicing aligning layers on your card perfectly straight—or almost perfectly—is a valuable endeavor.  It just takes repetition

Using the tricks I have shown you on how to align layers and fix them when they're crooked is a big help! CLICK HERE to see that post.  Even better, I have a video tutorial on this technique in my online class, Save Time and Get Organized!!!

Yet even with techniques, absolute perfection is not the goal.  I tell my customers, “If you want perfect, buy Hallmark!”

What can you do if you are stuck because you’re a perfectionist?  Here are some suggestions:

• Don't believe everything your mind tells you! Stop believing your mind when it tells you that you have to get it right the first time.  You should see all of my rejects!
  • Experiment, experiment, experiment!  Make mistakes, learn from them, try again.  Make a card one way.  Then make it another way, and see which you like.  Sometimes I take a card apart to change an element two or three times before I’m satisfied. Lots of my first attempts go in the trash.  Other times a design comes together quickly and effortlessly.
  • Rule of Thirds image Learn the basics of design.  Yes, this is a learnable skill!  For some reason, card makers seem to think they should know how to design cards.  Some of us have an innate sense of design elements.  Others don’t have a clue.  Either way, learning more about design will greatly enhance expression of your creativity.

For an example of a simple, learnable design concept that can help you make those pesky decisions when making cards, check out this video on the Rule of Thirds that I posted last month.  CLICK HERE to view video.

Sometimes I wonder if anyone is reading these creativity posts.  If you are, please leave me a comment or send an email and let me know if you find them helpful or not.  I'm always inspired to do more of whatever you're interested in when I get your feedback.

Meanwhile, go play in your stamp room!  Tell your inner critic to take a hike, experiment courageously and brazenly.

In other words, Stamp Madly!!!

10 Responses to Nurturing Creativity Part 9

1. Allisa September 16, 2011 at 2:29 am #

I love your posts. You always give advice that seems to be exactly what I need.

2. Nancy Dawson September 16, 2011 at 3:47 am #

I read these faithfully every week. I love your online class and the tutorials that you have made. TWO THUMBS UP!

3. Betty September 16, 2011 at 4:13 am #

I’m reading and appreciate you sharing your insights! They are all helpful. Since I work outside the home there are not enough hours to do what I love to do, so I need all the help I can get. THANKS.

4. Carey Rogers September 16, 2011 at 2:06 pm #

Oh my word. I just found this series. I so desperately need something like this. Thank you sooooo much.

Carey Rogers
    aka Roscoe’s mommy (the swap eating dog)

5. Sage Kimble September 16, 2011 at 2:14 pm #

Thanks to all of you who took the time to let me know that you appreciate these Nurturing Creativity posts. I love writing them, and now that I know how much you like them, I will enjoy doing them even more!

The Mad Stamper

6. Jean Fitch September 16, 2011 at 2:43 pm #

Hi Sage,

Just wanted to let you know you have a reader of the creativity posts (well really all your posts since they are all wonderfully creative- lol!). I just stumbled on your various videos and it brought me back to enjoying your blog on a more regular basis. I’ve been sharing the links too in my more recent newsletters to other demo’s and customers too! Thank you for putting all this wonderful information and your “sage” wisdom out there!

7. Sage Kimble September 16, 2011 at 3:00 pm #

Thanks so much for your comments, Im so glad your finding inspiration here at StampingMadl!

The Mad Stamper

8. Grace Benjamin September 17, 2011 at 5:05 am #

I have recently discovered your blog and REALLY enjoy all aspects but truly need and enjoy the Creativity posts. THe design techinque on thirds is VERY HELPFUL. YES, please keep posting!

9. Sage Kimble September 17, 2011 at 6:39 am #

Im so glad I asked for some feedback about the creativity posts. It really helps to know that many of you are not only reading them, but also enjoying and benefiting from them. I will definitely keep writing them!

10. Susan Butler September 17, 2011 at 3:03 pm #

Thank you Sage I do read your posts and I am guilty of not commenting as often as I should, you have some great hints and helpful suggestions, so please do not feel neglected, the posts are being read.
    Smiles:)