Three Ways to Heat Emboss with Stampin’ Up! Colors

Do you sometimes want an embossed image or sentiment to be a color other than black or white?  Or silver or gold?  Do you want the embossing to match the colors in your papercrafting project?  Here are three ways to accomplish that:

Click here to order Craft Ink Spots from Stampin' Up! 1.  Craft Inks

• Stampin' Up! Craft inks are pigment inks.  They are thicker and gooey-er (a highly technical term), and don't dry quickly like Classic Inks, which are water-based dye inks.  Craft inks are wonderful for embossing, because embossing powder will stick to the gooey ink as long as you add the powder before it dries.
  • Craft Inks are available as a set of Spots–1" square ink pads in all the colors of one of the Color Collections, i.e., Brights, Neutrals, Subtles, or Regals.  They can be re-inked with Craft Ink Refills.  You can also purchase uninked full-sized pads, and ink them with Refills.
  • Technique:  Stamp your image in the Craft Ink that coordinates with other parts of your project.  Cover with Clear Embossing Powder, and melt with Heat Tool.

Click here to order Versamark Watermark Stamp Pad from Stampin' Up! 2.  Classic Inks

• Since Classic Inks aren't sticky enough to hold the embossing powder, you have to somehow make them gooey.  You can accomplish this by combining Classic Inks with Versamark.
  • Versamark is a very gooey, colorless "ink" that will hold embossing powder quite nicely.  It will also give a nice "watermark" effect when used without embossing powder.
  • First "ink" your stamp with Versamark, then before you stamp your project, apply Classic Ink on top of the Versamark.  Cover with Clear Embossing Powder and melt with Heat Tool.  The results will be very similar to the Craft Ink technique.

Click here to order Stampin' Emboss Powder 3.  Stampin' Emboss Powder

• The Summer Mini Catalog includes a great new product:  Colored embossing powders.  They result in an image with color that is very bright and saturated.  I tried to take a picture to show you the difference in the images, but the camera doesn't pick up the subtleties, and they all look alike.
  • Available colors include Tangerine Tango, Wild Wasabi, and Melon Mambo. These color coordinate with the Beyond the Garden Designer Series Paper, which is also in the Summer Mini .
  • Stamp your image with Versamark, then cover with colored embossing powder of your choice, and melt with Heat Tool.

With all of these options you might be asking yourself why you have limited your embossing color choices to the traditional black, white, silver, and gold.  If you are ready to go wild with colors, just click on any of the above products to go directly to the page where they can be ordered.  Or click here to go to my online Stampin' Up! Store.

If your fingers aren't inky, what are you waiting for?  Happy Stamping,

1sagesiggy

Stamping Madly on Facebook

7 Responses to Three Ways to Heat Emboss with Stampin’ Up! Colors

1. Mary (aka Muffin's Mama) May 4, 2011 at 8:50 am #

Sage, Does technique #2 get versamark on your classic pads or to you have another method of getting classic ink on top of the versamark? TFS!

2. Sage Kimble May 4, 2011 at 10:42 am #

Hi Mary–As far as I can tell, the Versamark doesnt hurt the Classic Ink pads. Have you had any problem with this? I love that I can heat emboss with all the colors, even the In Colors, even if I dont have all the Craft Inks.

The Mad Stamper

3. Deeta Stinson May 17, 2011 at 2:30 pm #

Hi Sage,

Love your website!! Glad to have the tip on embossing with classic colors – adds to the variety of colors available. Would like to hear if any problems develop with the ink pads using this method.

DJS

4. Sage Kimble May 17, 2011 at 3:26 pm #

Glad you like the website! I have not seen any problems with Classic Ink Pads that I have done this technique with. VersaMark seems to be a pretty benign substance. In fact, I dont usually clean it off of my stamps when I use it alone, as it helps to condition the rubber.

The Mad Stamper

5. Judy Elting May 18, 2011 at 4:42 pm #

Hi Sage, Love your blog and all of the tips and tricks. I will add embossing with VersaMark and classics to my techniques. I have always embossed using the classic inks by themselves without a problem, but the trick is to have your clear embossing powder ready, stamp the image with classic ink and then cover immediately with clear emboss. It works great. If the image is a fine line one, then I may “huff” it as well. It does give a thinner image than the craft inks, but is sharp and clear. I also use that process instead of Stazon for water color so that I can choose a softer color for a different look for the image.

Always in awe of your art!
    Judy

6. Sage Kimble May 18, 2011 at 4:58 pm #

Thanks, Judy. So glad you keep finding helpful tips and tricks here at Stamping Madly.
    I have never tried to emboss with Classic ink without Versamark. You must have to get the powder on there really really fast!!!

The Mad Stamper

7. Judy Elting May 18, 2011 at 5:05 pm #

I don’t walk and chew gum at the same time, so actually it isn’t that hard. I always have the powder ready, then stamp lift the stamp off, pick up the project and cover it with the clear emboss. I’m working on a project for a group event now that requires two anchors and two compasses from The Open Sea, and I’m stamping two or three of each at the same time, then applying powder. The watercolor paper is a bit trickier. Fast is the word! Love your blog, can’t wait for the double embossing tutorial!